After a point in time, just being able to navigate to a page on the wiki was not enough - people needed to be told what (types of) pages were available. Though our FAQ system had been successful, other content though still as easy to create and get to, were not being contributed to.
To address this, we realized we needed to showcase content. We started by creating custom searches on our Wiki’s dashboard - however these were unattractive and caused performance issues. To address usability, we replaced links with a tablet-like interface of images. To address performance, we moved the custom searches to other reusable pages and included their content using AJAX.